AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Should I get a third opinion about my lymph node?

My Primary Care Provider told me that my lymph node seemed a little big (not quite 2 cm) but then the surgeon told me it was normal if it dosen't grow. Would you recommed a third opinion; and if so, what type of Dr. would you recommend going to see? I figure feeling lymph nodes is probably pretty subjective.

Response from Dr. Dezube

It's always difficult when you get two different opinions. I would NOT recommend a third. I'm not even sure your two opinions are differing. "Little big" may not differ from "normal". What is more important is what's happening with them. If they are not growing, if you are not systemically ill (fever, chills, night sweats, and weight loss), then most likely you can wait a month or two to see what happens. The majority of lymph nodes, but obviously not all of them, will resolve by themselves are time. We get more worried about lymph nodes that progress in size, are associated with systemic symptoms, or when one lymph node is way out of proportion to the other ones. Lymph nodes are more worrisome in older folks than in younger folks. You don't mention whether you are HIV positive or not. Patients who are HIV infected often develop prominent lymph nodes as their bodies try to fight off the HIV infection.

Cancer- What's the outlook?
What's the best case scenario for HIV infection? Be real, how many years can I go on?