Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I get a third opinion about my lymph node?
Jan 31, 2003

My Primary Care Provider told me that my lymph node seemed a little big (not quite 2 cm) but then the surgeon told me it was normal if it dosen't grow. Would you recommed a third opinion; and if so, what type of Dr. would you recommend going to see? I figure feeling lymph nodes is probably pretty subjective.

Response from Dr. Dezube

It's always difficult when you get two different opinions. I would NOT recommend a third. I'm not even sure your two opinions are differing. "Little big" may not differ from "normal". What is more important is what's happening with them. If they are not growing, if you are not systemically ill (fever, chills, night sweats, and weight loss), then most likely you can wait a month or two to see what happens. The majority of lymph nodes, but obviously not all of them, will resolve by themselves are time. We get more worried about lymph nodes that progress in size, are associated with systemic symptoms, or when one lymph node is way out of proportion to the other ones. Lymph nodes are more worrisome in older folks than in younger folks. You don't mention whether you are HIV positive or not. Patients who are HIV infected often develop prominent lymph nodes as their bodies try to fight off the HIV infection.

Previous
Cancer- What's the outlook?
Next
What's the best case scenario for HIV infection? Be real, how many years can I go on?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.