Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What do you mean when you said that people can clear infections by HPV (the wart virus)?
Jan 20, 2003

Hi, I am really confused about this, you stated in one of your responses that "The majority of folks who get HPV develop immunity to the infection and actually clear the virus" When you say clear do you mean that even if they had, had hpv and went and got the blood test done that it would not show up as positive? or would they still have hpv antibodies floating around inside? Keep up the great job!

Response from Dr. Dezube

I had said on a prior response, that the majority of folks who get HPV (the wart virus, human papilloma virus) develop immunity to the infection and actually clear the virus. For these folks, HPV infection is no different than how we all go through life and get viral infections such as the common cold and so on. These folks get over the infections and develop immunity to the infection. They are not infectious nor do they have signs of ever having had the virus. A blood test may show they have developed immunity (e.g. antibodies to HPV).

The reason that this is confusing is that HIV (the virus which causes AIDS) works by a whole different model. All patients with HIV infection develop antibodies to the HIV virus. Unlike the antibodies to HPV infection, the antibodies to HIV do not create long-lasting immunity. So to confuse you further, having antibodies to HPV is good (since it may mean you are immune to at least certain strains of HPV), whereas having antibodies to HIV is not good, because it means that you are infected with HIV. The antibodies, which patients develop to HIV are called NON-neutralizing antibodies since they do NOT neutralize (i.e. kill) the virus.

I hope I clarified this confusion. If not, write back.

Previous
What does the gram stain test for exactly?
Next
Coating in mouth thrush?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.