AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

mild facial molluscum. Any connection to HIV?

Dear Dr., I was diagnosed for a mild case of molluscum on one side of my face and neck (10-15 small, pimple like formations). i am a 26 yo, sexually active man. However, I always protect myself and keep my risk at the minimum. I understand that molluscum is a common problem also in HIV negative persons. Howver , several sources state that in adults it is rarely seen on the face and this might be a sign of HIV infection while several other sources state that it can be seen virtually anywhere in the body depending on the entry location of the virus. I would be delighted if you could clear up this issue (facial molluscum- HIV connection). Is it truly necessary for HIV testing in such cases? Thanks..

Response from Dr. Dezube

You sort of answered your own question. Molluscum is from a viral infection and is a common problem in both HIV-positive and HIV-negative patients. It tends to be worse in HIV-positive patients just as your query states.

If you were my own patient, I would indeed recommend HIV testing to you. Knowledge is power. If is important to know whether you are HIV-infected. If you were to be HIV-positive, then the best treatment for your molluscum would be a combination of freezing procedures (to freeze off the molluscum) and drugs to treat your HIV. You are short-changing yourself if you don't get tested for HIV. As your query indicates, not all people with molluscum are HIV-infected. PLEASE get tested and write me back with the result.

Carcinoid Syndrome- Is it related to HIV?
What does the gram stain test for exactly?