The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

mild facial molluscum. Any connection to HIV?
Jan 20, 2003

Dear Dr., I was diagnosed for a mild case of molluscum on one side of my face and neck (10-15 small, pimple like formations). i am a 26 yo, sexually active man. However, I always protect myself and keep my risk at the minimum. I understand that molluscum is a common problem also in HIV negative persons. Howver , several sources state that in adults it is rarely seen on the face and this might be a sign of HIV infection while several other sources state that it can be seen virtually anywhere in the body depending on the entry location of the virus. I would be delighted if you could clear up this issue (facial molluscum- HIV connection). Is it truly necessary for HIV testing in such cases? Thanks..

Response from Dr. Dezube

You sort of answered your own question. Molluscum is from a viral infection and is a common problem in both HIV-positive and HIV-negative patients. It tends to be worse in HIV-positive patients just as your query states.

If you were my own patient, I would indeed recommend HIV testing to you. Knowledge is power. If is important to know whether you are HIV-infected. If you were to be HIV-positive, then the best treatment for your molluscum would be a combination of freezing procedures (to freeze off the molluscum) and drugs to treat your HIV. You are short-changing yourself if you don't get tested for HIV. As your query indicates, not all people with molluscum are HIV-infected. PLEASE get tested and write me back with the result.

Carcinoid Syndrome- Is it related to HIV?
What does the gram stain test for exactly?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint