The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What's the best type of imaging to look for enlarged lymph nodes?
Jan 12, 2003

What do you think is the best type of imaging to do to look for enlarged lymph nodes? I have heard of using CT vs. MRI, etc. What one would you use? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

If I'm concerned about cancer or infection in a patient, the scan which I order the most is a CT scan of the chest and abdomen. With a chest CT scan you get a good look at the mediastinum, the structure in the chest which contains the aorta and large vessels and which is frequently a site of lymph node swelling. With an abdominal CT scan, we get not just a good picture of the abdominal lymph nodes, but we get to see the spleen, the liver, and multiple other structures down there. MRI scans can be helpful, but I tend to order CT scans in this setting.

Hemorrhoids and Pap smears- Post from 12/29-Correction?
Non Hodgkins Lymphoma and Kaposi's sarcoma- a double whammy

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint