AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

What's the best type of imaging to look for enlarged lymph nodes?

What do you think is the best type of imaging to do to look for enlarged lymph nodes? I have heard of using CT vs. MRI, etc. What one would you use? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

If I'm concerned about cancer or infection in a patient, the scan which I order the most is a CT scan of the chest and abdomen. With a chest CT scan you get a good look at the mediastinum, the structure in the chest which contains the aorta and large vessels and which is frequently a site of lymph node swelling. With an abdominal CT scan, we get not just a good picture of the abdominal lymph nodes, but we get to see the spleen, the liver, and multiple other structures down there. MRI scans can be helpful, but I tend to order CT scans in this setting.

Hemorrhoids and Pap smears- Post from 12/29-Correction?
Non Hodgkins Lymphoma and Kaposi's sarcoma- a double whammy