Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hemorrhoids and Pap smears- Post from 12/29-Correction?
Jan 12, 2003

Dear Dr. Bruce,

IN your response of 12/29/02 regarding anal pap smears, hemorrhoids and HPV, you said if you it is more likely one is HPV infected if the Pap smear is normal. I'm not a doctor but I always thought it was the other way around. That is, you are more likely to be HPV infected if the Pap smear is abnormal. Was this a typo? Thanks for all the hard work you do for all.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Thank you so much for your careful reading of my posts (you have a job waiting for you in some editorial department). You are correct in that there was a typo. It is more likely to be HPV infected if the Pap smear is ABnormal. I am repeating the edited 12/29 post in this response. (I also fixed the typo). Here it is.

The reader had asked some excellent questions about Pap smears and hemorroids--

1) Do hemorrhoids interfere with the Anal Pap test-- probably not. However, if the hemorrhoids are inflammed, then inflammation can indeed affect the Pap test. Although hemorrhoids will not cause a PAP test to read cancer, it may prevent a Pap smear from being read as completely normal. When I have a patient with inflammed hemorrhoids, I tend not to perform a Pap test until the inflammation subsides.

2) Because of sampling error, one negative PAP smear is reassuring, but may miss some abnormal cells. I usually recommend two negative Pap smears, one year apart, before I tell a patient that we can let down our guard a bit. After two negative Pap smears, in the absence of receptive anal sex, the frequency of the Pap smears can be spaced out. Please note that condoms are NOT completely protective of HPV infection, so that even if a patient has receptive anal sex (i.e. he's a bottom) with condoms, he is not completely protected from HPV and therefore anal Pap smears are recommended.

3) A normal PAP smear does NOT mean a patient is HPV-free. I am sorry to say that it is indeed possible to harbor an HPV infection even with negative Pap smears. That said, it is more likely that you are HPV infected if the Pap smear is abnormal

Previous
Lump on O-ring of my butt
Next
What's the best type of imaging to look for enlarged lymph nodes?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.