Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried Wells-- Not irrational fear, it is diease
Jan 12, 2003

I am telling you. I urge you to tell the CDC to look at the Worried Well people, please!!!. They are the most dangerous people because they can spread these unknown dieases to their partner as you can see. This is urgent!!! Please, stop asking the WW to see counseling when they ask you about their continuing symptoms. Yes, it is true that there are people experience symptoms that associated with irrational fear about HIV, but NOT ALL. Let me ask you this. Why there are people experience unusual symptoms after sex like mouth ulcer, diarrhea, headache, swollen nodes, floaters, bruises.etcbut then that person tested neg on HIV tests and other STD tests beyond 6 months. When that person starts to have sex again with the partner since h/she thinks it safe, after a few weeks the partner starts to experience similar symptoms. This unknown diease will spread rapidly because the WW says I am healthy, lets have sex again and spread it again. HOW DO YOU CALL THAT IRRATIONAL FEAR ABOUT HIV? I DONT GET IT.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm sure many readers will have comments about your post. The policy of thebody.com has always been to delete the messaged from Worried Well. I would agree that probably not all worried well are alike. There are many folks out there who are worried that they HIV and either refuse to get tested, or simply do NOT believe their negative HIV tests. They can't move on with their life. Many think they are the one in a million patient who has HIV despite negative HIV tests.

I am not trying to minimize how crippling the symptoms of "worried well" can be either physically or mentally. We (the experts of these forums) however need to develop a system of making the forums interesting. Currently I get a tremendous number of "worried well" writing to me. I just can't respond to all of them. Also some "worried well" are so paralyzed by fear that they send repeated queries. One such person sent her concerns to be on 10 occasions. Even after I addressed her/his concerns, s/he could not move on.

So in short, there are some elements of truth in your e-mail, but I do hope you can understand where we (the experts on the forums) are coming from

Previous
HPV -cancer time frame
Next
Lump on O-ring of my butt

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.