AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

HPV -cancer time frame

About 8 months ago I contracted hpv from a woman that had cervical cancer. I am HIV- and I am now experiencing some more severe symptoms like swollen lymph glands in the groin and general malaise. I was also negative for all other STD's. Are there some strains that can generate cancer at a faster rate even in HIV- people!

Response from Dr. Dezube

The actual strains of HPV which cause cancer (strains 16, 18, and a few others) are the same in HIV+ and HIV- folks. However, in HIV+ patients, the growth of HPV-related lesions (either warts or cancer) tends to be more rapid because of the impaired immune system. In both HIV+ and HIV- folks, it would be most unusual to develop cancer after just 8 months. It usually takes much longer. I would suggest that you see a health care provider.

Who does anal pap smears?
Worried Wells-- Not irrational fear, it is diease