AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Who does anal pap smears?

In many of the answers I have read, you have just stated, a "health care professional" should be asked for an anal pap smear if you are concerned. Who should I ask to do an anal pap smear? My gyneocologist? Do women go to proctologists?

Response from Dr. Dezube

It's a good question you ask. Performing and anal Pap smear is no more complicated than a cervical Pap smear; in fact, it's probably easier. However, most phyisicians are probably unfamiliar with the procedure. Many of the academic centers will have people familiar with the procedure. In some places, the internists perform it; in others gynecologists; in others nurse practitioner's. There's no one answer to your question. The cytologist who reads the Pap smear usually reads anal Pap smears in the same way s/he would read cervical Pap smears. Any patient, male or female, can see a proctologist, though it may not be necessary to go to a proctologist just to have a Pap smear done.

Another long saga story :=(
HPV -cancer time frame