Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Another long saga story :=(
Jan 12, 2003

Dear doctor, I read the post below "Long Saga: what is going on in with my body?" and found that guy and i share many symptoms and tests results. I (26, male) had a high risk exposure with a female sex worker in march 2001, shortly after i had nongonococical urethritis diagnosed and treated and in may 2001 developed ars like symptoms: night sweats, rapid heart pulse, breathlessness, white and burning tongue, mouth ulcers (still appear) and lymphadenopaty (still present). It's now 21 months since that exposure and I've been through many tests including hiv elisas 9, 20, 52, and 82 weeks after exposure all negative, EBV, CMV, Hep B and vdrl negative tests too. Had ultrasound and tomography and found i have also retroperitoneal lymphadenopaties so my doctor wants to do a biopsy on my neck lymph nodes to find out whats goin on but i dont want cause this will leave a scar on my neck, besides im quite sure this is an infection i got from that stupid exposure so more blood tests are all i need, am i right or not? please, please tell me what to do. So far, all they've found wrong with me is a staphylococus aureus infection in my throat for what i haven't had any treatment. Can it be causing me all these health problems? The bug that caused the urethritis was according to my doctor mycoplasma hominis. Could this bug have spread all over my body and be causing these symptoms? I've read that mycoplasmas can cause many health problems. What other tests should I take before going ahead with a lymph node biopsy? Thank you very much for your help and support to all of us, I'd really appreciate any comment on my situation and best regards to you and Joe X.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I am presuming that you have been treated for your mycoplasma infection. Is this indeed correct? It would be unlikely for that mycoplasma infection to cause the symptoms which are you describing. If your health care provider wishes to do a lymph node biopsy, then you may indeed might want to go through with it. Usually the scars from such biopsies are quite minimal. It may help to get an answer. You said that you had scans which showed retroperitoneal lymph nodes. Such lymph nodes are a bit unusual and for this reason, I would indeed recommend to you that you undergo some more procedures.

Previous
Self diagnosis
Next
Who does anal pap smears?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.