Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Self diagnosis
Jan 12, 2003

Dear Sir, About two years ago I visited my doctor as I found two painfully swollen lumps along my jaw, near to the toungue. At the time I was treated for a throat infection with a course of antibiotics. About three months later I found another set of three nodes on the jaw, one of which was causing pain which caused me to find them. The other previously found nodes where still there altough pain had gone. After returning to the doctors I was examined for other nodes under my armpits and groin and had a blood sample taken. No nodes where found and blood tests returned no results. Over the next six months(upto a year ago) I found more nodes myself under my armpits and in the groin region. I found them when I felt pain in the area. After the pain went the nodes stayed. They have not grown much since there discovery. I the last year I have done some searching on the net and found information on Hodgkins disease. I found a list of symptons but as I had no symptons then I left it alone. However, about two months ago I began to become rather itchy when I was in the bath- something I put down to the water being too hot. This has persisted for two months and has gradually worsened. I now become itchy around my neck, face and arms when ever I am working a bit too hard or even when I have the heater in in the car. I have also noticed that I am sweating more than normal over the last 6 weeks and I am coming home from working with body odor. A problem I have not suffered before. I cannot think of any other symtons I have had. Some info: I am 19, male and working. the nodes in the jaw are 1 - 1.5cm long, Armpits are 1 - 3.5cm long and groin are 2cm long. They have not grown in the time I have been awear of them(betweeen 1-2 years). I also have a lump on one of my testes which might be relavant. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Your title says it all "Self diagnosis". Please stop trying to self diagnosis yourself. You need to see a health care provider. If there is concern about one of the nodes, then a biopsy may be necessary. Have you been tested for HIV? There are just too many things possible given you list of symptoms.

Previous
testicle lump; what should I do?
Next
Another long saga story :=(

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.