AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

HPV Concern- how concerned should I be

I am an HIV negative and heterosexual female in my 20s who engaged in anal sex 3 times with one partner 3 and a half years ago. Eight months ago I was diagnosed with hemmorhoids, and a month ago, there were 3 instances where some bright red blood appeared on the toilet paper. Since then this has not happened. Do you feel I need to get any testing done? or am i just worrying? Can I stop worrying about what happened three years ago having caused any damage?

Response from Dr. Dezube

The bottom line is that if you had anal sex, there is a chance that you could contract HPV infection. The likelihood of HPV infection goes up with the number of contacts which you have had. The chance that you contracted HPV is probably small, but it is not zero. I would recommend getting an anal PAP smear yearly. After two negative anal PAP smears, then the likelihood that you are HPV infected is even smaller. I should emphasize that the majority of folks who get HPV infected, actually clear the virus by their immune system. So as to your question, should you worry? My hope is that you can worry a bit less.

Your hemorrhoid probably has nothing to do with the anal sex you had nor with HPV.

What happens between ARS and AIDS?
Do you know a good HIV/AIDS website?