AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

ABVD vs. Standford V for Hodgkin's disease?

update to my 10/18 question. Yes I have a reccurance of Hodgkins, stage IIIB. As stated in my October post, I only had radiation 5 years ago. One doctor wants me to start on ABVD the other(both work together) suggests Standford V.(shorter/intense) Do you know which one would give me better results? I do not have bulky disease so no radiation is needed just chemo. Thanks

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm sorry to hear that your Hodgkin's disease has come back. As per your above note and as per your original October 18th post, to date you have only received radiation therapy. The first thing to say is that your chances of success with chemotherapy are excellent. Chemotherapy works very well for patients who have received radiotherapy in the past. This pertains to both HIV-positive and HIV-negative folks (You don't specify if you are HIV-positive). As for which chemotherapy is better, there is simply no right answer. Both have good track records. They have never been compared head-to-head in a clincial trial. I personally would treat you with ABVD, for this is the regimen which I have found to be successful and well-tolerated. However, I could not argue with anyone who wished to give you the Stanford V regimen. Most cancer doctors, myself included, have their own preference. So good luck with your treatments and rest assured that both regimens are effective. Let me know how things turn out. BD.

What about those collarbone glands?
Re: Can HPV be contracted? How contagious is it?