The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ABVD vs. Standford V for Hodgkin's disease?
Dec 29, 2002

update to my 10/18 question. Yes I have a reccurance of Hodgkins, stage IIIB. As stated in my October post, I only had radiation 5 years ago. One doctor wants me to start on ABVD the other(both work together) suggests Standford V.(shorter/intense) Do you know which one would give me better results? I do not have bulky disease so no radiation is needed just chemo. Thanks

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm sorry to hear that your Hodgkin's disease has come back. As per your above note and as per your original October 18th post, to date you have only received radiation therapy. The first thing to say is that your chances of success with chemotherapy are excellent. Chemotherapy works very well for patients who have received radiotherapy in the past. This pertains to both HIV-positive and HIV-negative folks (You don't specify if you are HIV-positive). As for which chemotherapy is better, there is simply no right answer. Both have good track records. They have never been compared head-to-head in a clincial trial. I personally would treat you with ABVD, for this is the regimen which I have found to be successful and well-tolerated. However, I could not argue with anyone who wished to give you the Stanford V regimen. Most cancer doctors, myself included, have their own preference. So good luck with your treatments and rest assured that both regimens are effective. Let me know how things turn out. BD.

What about those collarbone glands?
Re: Can HPV be contracted? How contagious is it?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint