Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Breast Tumors, Enlarged Lymphs, abnormal sed rate, acute optic neuritis & more
Dec 22, 2002

Hi,

I'm going into my third surgery this Friday (in 3 years) for removal of at least one (of 3-4) breast tumors. The tumors started w/in 6 months on onset of Idiopathic Acute Optic Neuritis. (4 years ago - blind in right eye now, left also affected.) This surgery will also be to biopsy multiple palpable lymphs from under arm to back of neck. The lymphs appeared after a least a month of extreme night sweats and coughing. Tumors are growing. I have no diagnosis on eyes, no explanation for recurring multiple tumors (atypical hyperplasia of apocrine type) with last exhibiting aspects of DCIS yet not fully architecturally formed (AFIP).

I'm 45, female... Do you have any clue as to what is happening or is this just "welcome to your 40's" ;). Thanks. cj

Response from Dr. Dezube

Your recurring breast tumors are not part of "welcome to the 40's". They are however something that need to be addressed. Both DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) and Atypical Hyperplasia can be precursors (i.e. steps) before the development of breast cancer. Has your doctor spoken to you about tamoxifen? Tamoxifen is an anti-estrogen hormone which could dramatically decrease your chance of developing breast cancer. Based on what you have written to me, I might recommend it in your case. Tamoxifen is typically taken once a day for 5 years.

As for your optic neuritis, I am not sure it's related at all to the breast tumors.

Previous
Chronic leg swelling from Kaposi's Sarcoma
Next
LACTIC ACID

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.