AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Breast Tumors, Enlarged Lymphs, abnormal sed rate, acute optic neuritis & more

I'm going into my third surgery this Friday (in 3 years) for removal of at least one (of 3-4) breast tumors. The tumors started w/in 6 months on onset of Idiopathic Acute Optic Neuritis. (4 years ago - blind in right eye now, left also affected.) This surgery will also be to biopsy multiple palpable lymphs from under arm to back of neck. The lymphs appeared after a least a month of extreme night sweats and coughing. Tumors are growing. I have no diagnosis on eyes, no explanation for recurring multiple tumors (atypical hyperplasia of apocrine type) with last exhibiting aspects of DCIS yet not fully architecturally formed (AFIP).

I'm 45, female... Do you have any clue as to what is happening or is this just "welcome to your 40's" ;). Thanks. cj

Response from Dr. Dezube

Your recurring breast tumors are not part of "welcome to the 40's". They are however something that need to be addressed. Both DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) and Atypical Hyperplasia can be precursors (i.e. steps) before the development of breast cancer. Has your doctor spoken to you about tamoxifen? Tamoxifen is an anti-estrogen hormone which could dramatically decrease your chance of developing breast cancer. Based on what you have written to me, I might recommend it in your case. Tamoxifen is typically taken once a day for 5 years.

As for your optic neuritis, I am not sure it's related at all to the breast tumors.

Chronic leg swelling from Kaposi's Sarcoma
LACTIC ACID