Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Odd case of warts.....so i'm told; internal warts
Dec 22, 2002

I was recently diagnosed with anal warts. I was having some digestive problems such as blood and mucus in the stool as well as frequent stomach aches and bowel movements. Firstly, can all these things be attributed to warts? The warts near my rectum were removed, as well as some internal ones within the first couple inches of my colon. the surgeon proceeded to do a complete colonoscopy and found "extensive warts in the vicinity of 7-8 inches up." He would not remove them because he was worried about puncturing my colon. How rare are warts in this area? I'm going to see a colo-rectal surgeon, but i'm still worried about the possiblility they may spread upwards instead of downwards. I have stopped having anal receptive sex, and after this experience may never again. FYI, i am HIV- thankfully. I guess i'm just looking for some comfort that other cases like this have been seen and treated with success. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Your case of warts is indeed not all that unusual. Warts are caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV, also known as the wart virus). It is possible to get from an HPV infection, just internal warts, just external warts, or both. It is also possible to harbor and transmit the infection even in the absence of all warts. I would indeed recommend that you have all your warts removed as much as possible. If they can not be cut out, then they may be suitable for laser treatment. It may pay to find out if there's a surgeon or other provider that has expertise in warts. Often such experts are located in large academic centers. And yes, warts occur both in HIV+ and HIV- folks. Companies are working very hard to find a vaccine to HPV. Several are in clinical trials, but none is readily available.

Previous
Can HPV be contracted? How contagious is it?
Next
Chronic leg swelling from Kaposi's Sarcoma

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.