AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

can flu-shot increase size of lymph nodes?

Thanks the great services you offer on this website. I have been HIV+ probably since 1990 coz' I have been in a monogamous r/ship with my husband who is negative. I learnt of my status in October '02. Lab results in october'02 (CD4 812 & VL 472). I have never been on any HIV meds and has been relatively healthy. I got a flu-shot late October and since then my body hasn't stopped aching especially my arm-pits and the groin area. In fact there is a painless lump on my left armpit where the shot was administered. Are you aware if this is a normal reaction or I need to see my Infectious Disease Doctor?

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Dezube

It would be unusual for a flu-shot to cause such a lymph node swelling. However, I imagine that if you were to scratch the site of injection, a lymph node in that area of the body could swell. I would give it a few more weeks, and if the left armpit continues, then please get it checked out.

Do I have symptoms of KS? Fear
Can HPV be contracted? How contagious is it?