AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Cyst in testicles in an HIV-positive patient

Hi. I have a lump in my testicles. I am a little freaked. I was just getting back on my feet from PCP pneumonia two years ago. I was hoping to get myself off disability soon.

I am over 40 and the cyst isn't super hard so I figure it probably isn't cancer. Am right on that? I am 43. I am on Androgel? Does Androgel increase my risk or would it "just" speed up cancerous growth? If it isn't cancer what are the other possible things I could be dealing with? Do they all require surgery. I would very much like some general knowledge of what are my possibilities. I am seeing a Urologist in a week. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm glad to hear that you'll be seeing a urologist. All lumps in the testicle should be taken seriously, particularly in HIV patients. The next step will probably be a scrotal ultrasound to determine the nature of the mass and whether or not it needs to be removed. It could indeed be cancer (lymphoma or testicular), an infection, or nothing at all. The first step though is to have it evaluated. I doubt this has anything to do with the Androgel.

Ingrown hair type bumps on my bottom
How many lymph node biopsies should I have?