Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Abnormal PAP smear on several occasions-- I am soooo confused
Dec 21, 2002

29 yr old. I've had two abnormal pap smears my gyn tested for HPV(negative). i have to repeat another PAP in two months. i feel like i don't understand what's going on with all the test. I've researched the internet about ASCUS, but I'm still confused about my body. One year I'm okay and then the next abnormal PAP smears. If anyone give me some input i would greatly appreciate it thanks

Response from Dr. Dezube

ASCUS stands for atypical squamous cells of unknown significance. What this means is that they saw cells which could not be classified either as normal or as cancerous. They are somewhere in between. The fact that you are HPV negative is very reassuring! At this point, you can either have repeat PAP smears as you are doing or alternatively to undergo colposcopy, which will probably be the best way to figure out if there is anything worrisome. Colposcopy is a procedure by which a medical provider examines the cells of the cervix looking for early signs of cancer. The reason that you may be confused is that the finding of ASCUS in the setting of a negative HPV test is reassuring enough that many providers would not recommend any more invasive testing yet the finding is not normal enough to be ignored. Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

Previous
The Prevalance of HIV?? How safe is our blood supply?
Next
Lump on testicle-- should I be worried?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.