AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Abnormal PAP smear on several occasions-- I am soooo confused

29 yr old. I've had two abnormal pap smears my gyn tested for HPV(negative). i have to repeat another PAP in two months. i feel like i don't understand what's going on with all the test. I've researched the internet about ASCUS, but I'm still confused about my body. One year I'm okay and then the next abnormal PAP smears. If anyone give me some input i would greatly appreciate it thanks

Response from Dr. Dezube

ASCUS stands for atypical squamous cells of unknown significance. What this means is that they saw cells which could not be classified either as normal or as cancerous. They are somewhere in between. The fact that you are HPV negative is very reassuring! At this point, you can either have repeat PAP smears as you are doing or alternatively to undergo colposcopy, which will probably be the best way to figure out if there is anything worrisome. Colposcopy is a procedure by which a medical provider examines the cells of the cervix looking for early signs of cancer. The reason that you may be confused is that the finding of ASCUS in the setting of a negative HPV test is reassuring enough that many providers would not recommend any more invasive testing yet the finding is not normal enough to be ignored. Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

The Prevalance of HIV?? How safe is our blood supply?
Lump on testicle-- should I be worried?