AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

HIV and acute leukemia; what are the effects of chemotherapy on the virus?

In your Nov 11, 2002 post, you stated: "And lastly, chemotherapy can indeed kill the HIV virus."

Could you elaborate on this? I have HIV and AML (acute myelogenous leukemia). I've completed inductive and consolidation chemo.

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Dezube

Having acute leukemia (AML) AND HIV infection is not easy. Congratulations on getting through induction and consolidation chemotherapy. The subject of HIV and AML is very special to me as I just published a review on the subject in the journal entitled AIDS. You physician should be able to reference it. Chemotherapy has been shown in the laboratory to kill the AIDS virus. I would certainly never recommend chemotherapy as a treatment for HIV. HOWEVER, you should rest assured that your HIV virus is probably not replicating wildly while you are receiving chemotherapy. It is very important that you remain on your HIV medications while you are undergoing chemotherapy. Good luck-- that's quite a challenge before you.

responding to genital warts and renal failure answer
The Prevalance of HIV?? How safe is our blood supply?