Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

responding to genital warts and renal failure answer
Dec 21, 2002

Dear Dr. Bruce...Thanks so much for the quick reply. He has taken an HIV test, but is too scared to get the results. I was surprise, I guess that you brought this test up, what is the correlation between the genital warts and HIV? I vistied with him about the neccessity of talking to the doctor and getting the results. His fear is that if he is positive, there will be no chance for a kidney transplant. They won't do a transplant with this. Again, I am wondering if you have any input as to the connection between the two. Also, the genital warts are not on the genitals, just around the area. Any reason for this? Thank you for the answers, as it has been hard to find any answers...you have been the first. Mom and J

Response from Dr. Dezube

It's obviously most important to find out your son's HIV results. Knowledge is power. I can certainly appreciate his fear. Even if he were not to be tested for HIV, the transplant team would no doubt test him prior to his kidney transplant. It's important for the transplant doctors to know.

As for the correlation between genital warts and HIV, it has been well described that as patients' immune systems weaken, genital warts (caused by the HPV wart virus) get worse.

Previous
prednisone follow-up; can it affect biopsy results?
Next
HIV and acute leukemia; what are the effects of chemotherapy on the virus?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.