Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Septra allergy and alternatives
Dec 8, 2002

hello, a question concerning paraphylaxis allergy. I am hiv+ and just started medication 2 weeks ago.My doctor also prescribed me as a prentive treatment Septra pills for 6 months, I had severe allery to Septra and my Docor had prescribed instead Mepron which is ok as far as the allergy goes,no side effects; however, it is very difficult to take -very thick yellow syroup. not to mention the fact that it is extremely expensive. My question: which are the efficient alternatives for Septra that are available in tablets ? I was told Dapsone was taken off the market as well. thanks Joe

Response from Dr. Henry

As far as I know dapsone is still availabe and is the preferred alternative to Septra. Many patients can be desensitized over several weeks so that they can tolerate Septra again. Mepron is another alternative but is difficult for some to tolerate and is expensive. KH

Previous
Found something odd near my testicles
Next
Uterus Cancer- The doctors have given up hope.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.