Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Renal failure and gential warts; are they related?
Dec 8, 2002

Dear Dr. Bruce, My son who is 22 was diagnosed with renal failure 1 1/2 years ago, has been on dialysis for 1 year now. With in this last 6 months he had an outbreak of gential warts (which has never occured before this). The nodes in his groin were swollen a bit, now down. He has had a node swollen on this right side of his neck and he says his armpits hurt, although, no swollen nodes. He has had another outbreak and is scared, doesn't know what to do , how to treat, if the nodes are related, or if it is all related to dialysis and immune system with renalfailure...Do you have any input on this? He and I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Mom and J

Response from Dr. Dezube

Any disease which impairs the immune system can cause genital warts to progress more quickly than in the absence of such a disease. I am assuming that your son is HIV-negative though you don't necessarily mention it. It is entirely possible that the renal failure and dialysis are contributing to the genital warts. I can only recommend that the warts be treated aggressively since they will no doubt continue to grow if they are not taken care of. If your son has not been tested for HIV, then he probably should be, though nothing you have written necessarily suggests to me that he is HIV-positive. My very best goes out to you-- dealing with dialysis is no easy feat.

Previous
kaposi sarcoma- I'm so scared!
Next
Found something odd near my testicles

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.