Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lymphoma IgM Level- what level is worrisome?
Dec 8, 2002

At what IGM level in a lymphoma patient, like me, is chemo treatment necessary?

Response from Dr. Dezube

IgM levels measure the amount of immunoglobulins (natural antibodies) are in your blood. The letters IgM stand for Immunoglobulins of the M class. We usually base treatment decisions on factors other than the IgM level. Do you have a tumor somewhere? what's happening to it? IgM levels are typically only followed for a very specific type of lymphoma called Waldenstrom's disease. This is a lymphoma that HIV-infected patients typically do NOT get. We also follow immunoglobulin levels of other classes (i.e. not the M class) for patients with myeloma. Occasionally we look at IgM levels in HIV-lymphoma, but we don't necessarily base treatment decisions on them. It is also very important to know if your IgM level is monoclonal (more worrisome) or polyclonal (less worrisome). Your health care provider should have that information.

Previous
Third time I write, please write- How do you decide which ones to answer??
Next
Does prednisone make the diagnosis of lymphoma more difficult?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.