AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Third time I write, please write- How do you decide which ones to answer??

Hi Doctor, sorry to bother you but I`ve written twice now on the Safe Sex forum but no answer. Im a Central American male that had protected sex on october 27 and started to get swollen glands on november 18. I went to the Doctor, but I believe they are not very knowledgable about HIV over here. I have swollen glands all over my body, including my legs. I got every blood test possibly done and the only one that came out positive was the one for measles (IGG exam and came out 40 don`t know what; Doctor said 8 was normal for an adult). Can my swollen glands be HIV related or can I trust that I have a sublinical case of measels given the fact that the only sympom I have are swollen glands (maybe some weight loss). I first noticed a swollen gland on my groin area but since then I notice at least one new one each day. Is this typical behavior on HIV related cases. This is week three with swollen glands and although they are not tender any more, they are still swollen. If this is HIV related should I expect them to go down or are they going to be swollen until I get medication. I beg you to answer because it seems to me my Doctor does not have any answers.

Response from Dr. Dezube

First, I'll address the issue of repeated questions without a reply. We simply get too many queries to reply to them all. Although I can't speak for the other forum experts, I tend to pick and choose the questions to which I reply based on a few issues as outlined below. I do wish there were enough hours per day to respond to them all. We are only human.

1) Will it be of interest to the general reader, not just to the person who asked the question?

2) Is it in some way related to my forum (Cancer)? Questions about lymph nodes and HPV disease are relevant to my forum

3) Has the question been recently asked? If so, I'd prefer that you look at my responses to other people's questions for answers.

4) We have been instructed to delete "worried well" questions. Worried well questions usually come from someone who has had a high risk encounter and now have symptoms and they are concerned that they may have HIV disease. The best thing to do in these cases is simply to get HIV tested.

Soooooooo, in your case, if you are concerned about HIV disease, just get tested. Knowledge is power. I doubt Measles is playing a role in your symptoms based on what you have written. See what happens over the course of the next month or two. If your lymph nodes go down, then most likely, they were just swollen in reaction to a transient virus. If they stay swollen and you are HIV negative, and there is no easy explanation as to why you have them, it may be reasonable to have one biopsied.

Lastly you mention that you are writing from central America. I would invite you to use our Forum for Spanish speakers assuming Spanish is your native tongue. Buena Suerte.

Possible Hodgkin's?
Lymphoma IgM Level- what level is worrisome?