AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Medicine for HPV-16

Yesterday in the news I heard a report about HPV-16, cervical cancer, and a new medication that is being given to help get rid of the HPV. However, the whole story was geared toward women. My question is whether their is any relevance for HIV+ men. At a minimum, I know that HPV can affect men in the anal region and can also cause problems on one's face. If men have had a problem with HPV, should we consider taking this medication in order to lessen chances of developing cancer? Thank you!

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm not sure what medicine you are referring to. In general what is good for HPV disease in women is also good for HPV in men. Aldara cream can be used to treat external warts (it is quite effective). Several HPV vaccines are now in clinical trials. If they work, I imagine that they'll also work for HPV disease in both sexes. Currently, to my knowledge, there are NO cures for HPV disease. The best way to treat HPV related disease is to treat the manifestations -- if there are warts, then treatments include Aldara, podophyllin, laser treatment, surgery, liquid nitrogen, and so on. Hope this answers your question.

Does Infected KS heal?
Recurrent symptoms (sweats, smells); is my lymphoma back?