Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Medicine for HPV-16
Mar 2, 2001

Yesterday in the news I heard a report about HPV-16, cervical cancer, and a new medication that is being given to help get rid of the HPV. However, the whole story was geared toward women. My question is whether their is any relevance for HIV+ men. At a minimum, I know that HPV can affect men in the anal region and can also cause problems on one's face. If men have had a problem with HPV, should we consider taking this medication in order to lessen chances of developing cancer? Thank you!

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm not sure what medicine you are referring to. In general what is good for HPV disease in women is also good for HPV in men. Aldara cream can be used to treat external warts (it is quite effective). Several HPV vaccines are now in clinical trials. If they work, I imagine that they'll also work for HPV disease in both sexes. Currently, to my knowledge, there are NO cures for HPV disease. The best way to treat HPV related disease is to treat the manifestations -- if there are warts, then treatments include Aldara, podophyllin, laser treatment, surgery, liquid nitrogen, and so on. Hope this answers your question.

Previous
Does Infected KS heal?
Next
Recurrent symptoms (sweats, smells); is my lymphoma back?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.