AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

SAFETY OF USING INTERLEUKIN FOR HIV IMMUNOSTIMULATION

Dear Doc. Thanks for being available to our doubts. I am a young medical student ,HIV+, on HAART for 3 years , planning to start interleukin cycles. (9 millions subcutaneous during 6 days every 8 weeks) My last tests were VIRAL LOAD: 710 copies per ml (all the previous ones were under 50 copies) / CD4: 580 . I know a little about the use of interleukin. My principal concern is the potential of this drug to induce tumors growth or other malignancies . I don't like the idea of increasing my viral load. Would be this safe? Do you know anything about this topic? I will be very thankful of receiving any information. A.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear A. Although I don't necessarily understand why you are in need of interleukin-2, I can reassure you that there is no reason to believe that it will induce tumor growth or other malignancies. In fact, it is FDA-approved as a means to shrink certain tumors (kidney cancer and melanoma).

blood in semen
HIV & Cancer how strong a correlation?