AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

blood in semen

Hello. I am 32, male, and I have been HIV+ for nearly two years; my T-cell count is 300 and my Viral Load count is approx. 50,000. The last several times I have masturbated I discovered blood in my semen. The semen, itself, was red. I am wondering if this could be HIV-related...caused, perhaps, by some type of cancer brought on by HIV. I have no pain in my testicles, or with urination, and there seems to be no other symptoms or pain. Have you heard of this before in patients with HIV? Any information would be appreciated; thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Although blood in your semen is not a normal finding, it does NOT necessarily mean you have cancer! Have you experienced perhaps a bit of trauma to your privates? Alternatively HPV (human papilloma virus) can sometimes infect the water works and in turn leads to bleeding and warts. Have you ever had venereal warts? Apologies for my next question -- have you ever put anything up your penis? At this point, I would recommend, particularly if the blood continues, that you see a well-trained urologist!

Hodgkin's Disease: What do you think about this staging and dosing?
SAFETY OF USING INTERLEUKIN FOR HIV IMMUNOSTIMULATION