AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

sustiva side-effects

My son has KS and was taking sustiva prescribed by his doctor. While on sustiva, he experienced severe mood swings, suicidal tendencies, aggressive behavior, etc. While trying to stab himself, someone tried to intervene, and that person was also stabbed, and both recovered quickly. Thank God no one was killed, however my son is being charged with attempted murder. For my son's defense, he needs to know of any other case histories of patients showing the same or like symptoms that he experienced. Doctor, we would appreciate any information you can send our way. Thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Wow, that's quite some story! Sustiva crosses into the brain. I will quote directly from the product insert, which is the material provided by the drug's manufacturer -- "Serious psychiatric adverse experiences have been reported in patients treated with sustiva. In controlled trials the frequency of specific serious psychiatric symptoms among patients who received Sustiva or control regimens (i.e placebo) were severe depression (0.9%, 0.5%)[the 0.9% is the percentage in those receiving sustiva, the 0.5% is the percentage in those receiving placebo], suicidal ideation or attempts (0.5%, 0.3%); agressive behavior (0.3%, 0.3%)....

I am unable to judge whether your son's behavior was precipitated by the sustiva. I can just tell you that there is a warning in the product insert about sustiva and psychiatric symptoms.

KS transmission
research info for a paper