Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

KS transmission
Mar 2, 2001

My partner died two years ago of widely disseminated KS and ITP amongst other HIV related complications. He was doing well (vl 770) and about to be released. A GI Dr. had prescribed propulcid and suddenly (three days) he took a dramatic turn for the worse. Could that have spread his KS? I contracted HIV from him. Is KS caused by a virus? Does the virus spread in conjunction with HIV? How would I know If I'm at risk for KS? My health is excellent and I've responded well to HAART. Cd's 860 Vl <50 (cd increase >600 in one year!)

Response from Dr. Dezube

KS is indeed caused by a virus. It's a virus in the herpes family but it is quite distinct from the herpes virus which causes cold sores or shingles. Many folks are infected by this virus, which is called either KS-associated herpes virus or HHV-8. However, only a small fraction of people who are infected with this virus will actually develop KS.

If your CD4 count is 860 and your viral load is <50, then it is unlikely for you to develop KS.

As for your question about your partner's doctor, it's a bit unfair for me to comment about the therapy by the prior doctor.

In terms of KS, you should be okay.

Previous
Solution to HIV?
Next
sustiva side-effects

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.