AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Solution to HIV?

Having read this article, I think I have a solution to HIV infection. I want to discuss this with you...... "Using a new mathematical model to analyze a detailed set of viral load data collected from five infected patients after the administration of a potent inhibitor of HIV-1 protease, it was estimated that productively infected cells have, on average, a lifespan of 2.2 days (t[sub 1/2]=1.6 days) and that plasma virions have a mean lifespan of 0.3 days (t[sub 1/2]=0.24 days). The average total HIV-1 production was 10.3 x 10[super 9} virions per day, which is substantially higher than previous minimum estimates. Our results also suggest that the minimum duration of the HIV-1 life cycle in vivo is 1.2 days on average, and that the average HIV-1 generation time, defined as the time from release of a virion until it infects another cell and causes the release of a new generation of viral particles, is 2.6 days. These findings on viral dynamics provide not only a kinetic picture of hiv-1 pathogenesis, but also the theoretical principles to guide treatment strategies." The main focus has been to INCREASE the immune system's response to HIV infection.If an intense regimen of immune suppression drugs are administered (simultaneously with antibiotics and antiretroviral drugs) the HIV should have no cells to infect, and therefore cannot replicate. If this treatment lasts for longer than the lifespan of HIV in vivo (e.g 4 days), should this not eliminate the virus?? Now. what is wrong with my logic? Someone must have thought of this before... Your thoughts... P. A. G. G., Barbados

Response from Dr. Dezube

I wish it were this easy. Let's look at YOUR statement "If an intense regimen of immune suppression drugs is administered (simultaneously with antibiotics and antiretroviral drugs) then HIV should have no cells to infect, and therefore cannot replicate."

I can't imagine how you can give such a potent immunosuppressive regimen to kill ALL the cells and yet not kill the patient. Some have tried potent immunosuppression by doing a bone marrow transplant. The results, as I understand them, have NOT been very good.

Routine check-ups
KS transmission