AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

hpv test

I asked my doctor if I can get tested for HPV and they said there is no test. I have HIV an have been reading about the risk of hpv and am worried. How can I get tested? Is this like a pap test?

Response from Dr. Dezube

There certainly are HPV (human papillomavirus) tests!! I would recommend an anal PAP smear in most gay men, whether or not they are HIV+ or HIV-. Such a smear can detect early cancer of the anal canal before it spreads. The PAP smear actually looks for early cancerous changes. I would also recommend a cervical PAP smear in all women, whether or not they are HIV+ or HIV-. In addition to the PAP smear, there is an HPV test which can test for specific strains of HPV. Certain strains are particularly more likely to cause cancer. If your PAP smear is anything but normal, then more testing may be required. As for how to get the HPV test or the PAP test, this is hard for me to answer without knowing a bit about where you're located. Maybe your local AIDS service organizations can point you to a clinic which offers them.

Husband-wife team discovering KS virus
Routine check-ups