AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Fear of developing KS

Hi Dr. Dezube! I read in POZ that a study in the New England Journal of Medicine recently revealed that a man who is infected with both HIV and HHV-8 faces a 50 percent chance of developing KS within a decade! I have HPV and HIV -- 1. what precautions should I take to avoid getting KS? 2. and is KS a death sentence. I mean how long of a survival rate is there if you get KS? 3. And finally is having KS, HPV and HIV a deadly combination in terms of the drugs I may have to take? Thanks! Joe

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear Joe: The New England Journal of Medicine article presents data from before the era of highly active anti-retroviral therapy and may not necessarily apply now. KS is certainly NOT a death sentence. In fact, it is most rare for a patient to actually die from KS. I'm not trying to minimize KS, but there are such good treatments for it, that virtually all patients with KS can benefit from the multiple drugs available.

k.s. and shingles
Husband-wife team discovering KS virus