Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Fear of developing KS
Mar 2, 2001

Hi Dr. Dezube! I read in POZ that a study in the New England Journal of Medicine recently revealed that a man who is infected with both HIV and HHV-8 faces a 50 percent chance of developing KS within a decade! I have HPV and HIV -- 1. what precautions should I take to avoid getting KS? 2. and is KS a death sentence. I mean how long of a survival rate is there if you get KS? 3. And finally is having KS, HPV and HIV a deadly combination in terms of the drugs I may have to take? Thanks! Joe

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear Joe: The New England Journal of Medicine article presents data from before the era of highly active anti-retroviral therapy and may not necessarily apply now. KS is certainly NOT a death sentence. In fact, it is most rare for a patient to actually die from KS. I'm not trying to minimize KS, but there are such good treatments for it, that virtually all patients with KS can benefit from the multiple drugs available.

Previous
k.s. and shingles
Next
Husband-wife team discovering KS virus

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.