Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Caffeine stimulates tumors?!? Please say it ain't so.
Nov 17, 2002

Dr. Dezube, Thanks for all of your great answers. I have been HIV+ for 17 years now taking Ziagen, Viread and Virramune. When I went to my dematologist to have a tumor removed they told me that caffiene stimulates tumors they thought and that also cholesterol lowering drugs can initiate some tumors(also I had been taking Pravachol.) Any truth to all of this??? HELP!

Response from Dr. Dezube

It ain't so. I am not aware of any data whatsoever indicating that caffeine stimulates tumors. Certainly given the vast number of coffee and tea drinkers, including me, this has been a question which has been asked by many researches. To my knowledge, all of the data point to caffeine being pretty safe in terms of cancer. What tumor did you have removed? Caffeine can cause certain types of cysts, but these cysts are NOT cancer. Cholesterol lowering drugs similary do NOT cause cancer. I think I'll go and put up another cup of coffee.

Previous
I have so little time left on this Earth; tumour causing a lot of pressure on my neck- what can be done.
Next
Change in Profile?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.