AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

lymphoma

I was diagnosed with hiv/aids in april 2000.At that time i told my DR that I believed I had Lymphoma,I 've been an oncology nurse for years and knew the symptoms;he told my symptoms where due to the hiv virus and disregarded my continuing complaints of symptoms,finally in October 2000 was diagnosed with high grade lymphoma involving the spleen.Bone barrow and brain clear of disease.My question is are all lymphoma hiv related since I tested neg march 1999,and can the presence of lymphoma at diagnosis of hiv affect the cd4 and lymphocyte percentage,my own DR will not answer my question.Thank you

Response from Dr. Dezube

1) Since you were diagnosed with high grade lymphoma in October 2000, 6 months after the diagnosis of HIV, then by definition you have an AIDS-related lymphoma. The good news is that this form of lymphoma is very very treatable. Not all lymphomas are AIDS-related, but in all likelihood yours is related to HIV. 2) Lymphoma can indeed suppress the CD4 count even if you have not yet received chemotherapy. Obviously if you get chemotherapy (and it sounds like you should), then your CD4 count can fall further. The good news is that after the chemotherapy is finished, your CD4 count should rise.

GOOD LUCK.

Is it safe to wait -- bone pain and weight loss
k.s. and shingles