AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

lipomas

Hello Doctor, I used to be very fat in my youth. Now i am 24, and i have lost some significant weight. Now that i have lost this weight, i can feel large bumbs in my lower back. Some of them are very small, some of them a few inches. I must have 20 or more of them. They don't hurt, and they are not visible, but i can feel them very good. My doctor said that these bumbs are lipomas or something like that. Now my question : Is this because i used to be fat ? And are there going to grow more of them ? Will they grow larger ?? Are they dangerous, and is there another solution to remove them except for surgery ? My mother has also a few, but i have a load of them. I guess it must be genetic. My girlfriend studies her master degree in biochemistry. She told me that lipomas are some sort of cancer. She also told me that my body has a bigger chance of getting a malignous cancer than other people. Is this true ?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I apologize for coming between you and your girlfriend. Lipomas are NOT a form of cancer in the usual definition of cancer. They are not necessarily related to your weight problem. You may continue to see them grow. The good news is that, in addition to the fact that they don't represent cancer, they can easily be removed. I would recommend that you have surgery on any lipomas, which bother you either physically or emotionally.

Should I Be??
Is it safe to wait -- bone pain and weight loss