AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Should I Be??

Firstly, thank you for this forum..It has been extremely helpful. I found out that I was positive one year ago...I believe that I converted sometime in 1997...I had a bout with meningitis(spelling??)in the summer of 1997, but wasn't tested until Sept 1999....Anyway- I am not nor have never been on any meds...my stats are as follows starting with the first time I was tested and then about every three months after....VL16,600/TC660...VL17,000/TC1084...VL8,400/TC786...VL18,000/TC771...VL12,850/TC641...VL31,000/TC756- this was Sept. 2000. My question is, with the meds that are available today...is not possible to avoid contracting KS and other infections by watching the progression of the virus within and starting meds at the necessary time?

Response from Dr. Dezube

Thank you for your kind comments. I'm not completely sure that I understand your question. With a CD4 count of 756, it is NOT necessary to start medications at this time. HOWEVER, your viral load is a bit high. It looks like you have at least 5 measurements with "lowish" viral loads, and one measurement with a high viral load (31,000). I would recommend that you continue to have your viral loads checked. If the viral load rises or stays in the 31,000 range on one or two more occasions, then you may need to start HIV medications. By starting these medications, you will have a better chance of avoiding both infections and cancer. Hope this helps.

Trying not to worry!
lipomas