Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

KS scarring...what are the options cosmetically?
Nov 15, 2002

I had KS in late 1995 and was treated successfully with no complications since. However several scars remain on my lower legs ranging dark to light. I have read some of your responses to this question (i.e.: apply paretin gel or make-up). I tried the gel with no noticable results. What about cosmetic tattoing or laser technology of some sort or even surgery to remove the scars (the largest about 5/8" diameter). I expect none of the aforementioned will be recommended but it would seem that in the age of EXTREME cosmetic/corrective treatments there has to be a better solution than Dermablend. Thank you for your thoughts and expertise regarding this matter.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm glad your KS was treated successfully and that you have had no complications since. It is not unusual for there to be residual scarring after successful treatment, particularly if your case of KS was severe. Typically over time the residual scarring fades; I gather this has not happened in your case. Although I do indeed recommend cosmetic make-up for my patients, I do realize that this option may not be agreeable to all of them. Some of my patients get tanned, even in the winter. This makes the KS lesions less noticeable. For some of my patients this works out quite well. Laser technology can also be effective- If you are interested, you should consult a dermatologist, hopefully one with some expertise in this area. A few of my patients have gone down this route and are quite happy with the result. Although I doubt you'll be left with completely normal skin, these maneuvers may give you a cosmetic result with which you'll be happy. Since the lesions are clearly bothering you (otherwise you wouldn't be writing), I would urge you to pursue these options (e.g., dermatologic laser). If you choose to pursue these options, please write back and let me know how things turn out.

Previous
Am I HPV infected if I have a wart? Will I develop cancer?
Next
I have so little time left on this Earth; tumour causing a lot of pressure on my neck- what can be done.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.