Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can a man transmit HPV disease to his spouse? Can he have children
Nov 15, 2002

Thanks for your answer to my previous question. It is good news that people, who have anogenital warts, can have children. Now I come to another related quesion. Assume that the man has anogenital warts, while his spouse does not. In the process of having a baby, the man will transmit anogenital warts to his spouse. Is this true? If it is true, then having a child is still a big problem. Or may be there is some way to avoid this problem.

Many thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Dezube

If a man has anogenital warts, then he is presumably HPV infected. He indeed may transmit this to his spouse if she were to be HPV-negative. His spouse may already be infected with HPV given her exposure. In any event, the woman can give birth. The HPV should have no effect on the unborn child. As I mentioned in a prior body.com response, there is a very small chance that the baby can develop an HPV infection of the voice box, but this is really quite rare.

Previous
Negative to HIV, but Positive to HHV-6
Next
Can HPV cause swollen lymph nodes?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.