AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Can a man transmit HPV disease to his spouse? Can he have children

Thanks for your answer to my previous question. It is good news that people, who have anogenital warts, can have children. Now I come to another related quesion. Assume that the man has anogenital warts, while his spouse does not. In the process of having a baby, the man will transmit anogenital warts to his spouse. Is this true? If it is true, then having a child is still a big problem. Or may be there is some way to avoid this problem.

Many thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Dezube

If a man has anogenital warts, then he is presumably HPV infected. He indeed may transmit this to his spouse if she were to be HPV-negative. His spouse may already be infected with HPV given her exposure. In any event, the woman can give birth. The HPV should have no effect on the unborn child. As I mentioned in a prior body.com response, there is a very small chance that the baby can develop an HPV infection of the voice box, but this is really quite rare.

Negative to HIV, but Positive to HHV-6
Can HPV cause swollen lymph nodes?