AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Trying not to worry!

Hi Doc! So far, I love your responses to question..... very helpful! My question is in regards to a mass in my left lung. First me: 37 years old male HIV+ since Oct/97 at which point VL >800,000 with T's at 50. Hiv- Oct/95 (progressed VERY FAST) Started HAART Oct/97 within 3 months VL <50 T's jumped 270. For the past 3 years VL<50 T's between 120-240 with going from 12 to a high of 27 with current at 21. Oct/99 found mass in left lung about the size of a golf ball with an x-ray, x-ray of lung in Oct/97 was clear. Was sent to a specialist.. Had CT/Bronchoscopy/Needle Biopsy, all came back with nothing! Now getting CT every 3 months with no change. Waiting for results of last CT as well as VL and T's. The past month or so, weights been down, hair falling out again, fatigue getting worst as well as PN(just stopped amitripaline and starting gabapentin), but also using tylenol 3. Current HAART: Crix/Combavir, as well as septra,acyclovir,fluconazole,lomotil. Just stopped mycobutin. Now for the question (sorry for be long winded!) So this lung thing, should I be more concern these days?? Waiting for the result is killing me. Any suggestions?? Thanks a million....... AJF

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear AJF, Thank you for your kind comments. The bottom line is that you have a mass in your lungs without a diagnosis. Is it staying the same, growing, or shrinking?? Unless it is shrinking, then I would recommend that you have an open biopsy. This is a procedure by which they open you up and remove the mass. Often these open biopsies can be performed without too much in the way of recovery time. I share your concern. It's impossible to know what you have without having another biopsy. Most diseases are best treated by early diagnosis and treatment. Please keep me posted.

Toxic Plasmosis
Should I Be??