AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Re: Is my KS related to my Thyroid Lesion? I'm about to embark on chemotherapy. Cancer and the spirit.

I had the CT of the neck for the thyroid and an ultrasound and it was barely visible on either so I think for now nothing will be done. The bronchoscopy went very well(I got what I call a really good margarita) and they did not see KS at the time(2 weeks ago). I did get the call today that the final pathology did show KS and that the lesions were atypical of KS of the lungs. I tentatively will start chemo next Wednesday. I have been prepared for this since the first biopsy in July but am a little nervous about how I will react and how it will affect my job etc. Now I have to go tell my boyfriend that it is indeed KS in the windpipe. That's the update so far. This web site has been invaluable as a research tool and in helping me deal with the drs on a more equal level. Thanks for your word of encouragement Dr. Dezube.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I appreciate that your wrote back and gave me an update about your bronchoscopy. I wish you well with the chemotherapy. The chemotherapy that is given now-a-days is pretty gentle on your body, but tough on the KS lesions. The vast majority of my patients receive the chemotherapy with little impact on either their work or their boyfriends. The key is to muster up the support, either internally or through family and friends, so that you can best deal with the cancer. Cancer can simply not conquer the spirit unless you let it do so. Good luck.

thanx bruce--just one more clarification
How long does it take a KS lesion to develop