Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Strange Vaginal Secretion after sex.
Mar 2, 2001

I had unprotected sex with a guy 3 weeks ago....I feel healthy....no symptoms. Well, I decided to get a pap because i noticed a strange secretion afterwards. My doctor found a mucous clear secretion which she observed was a large amount of white blood cells trying to fight off infection. Could this be a symptom of hiv virus. I heard hiv leads to increased gynecological problems. Should I be worried if i dont have any other symptoms? And how long usually, after unprotected sex, should one wait to be tested?

Response from Dr. Dezube

Given that you had unprotected sex, it would pay for you to be tested for HIV, particularly since this is on your mind. However, given that you have a vaginal discharge,it is more likely that you had an STD (sexually transmitted disease) other than HIV. You could get tested for HIV now, but it will be necessary to get retested in about 3 months to make sure that the test is valid, since it does indeed take time for patients to develop an antibody to HIV.

Previous
Cancer and Alcohol???
Next
Kiss

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.