Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Cancer and Alcohol???
Mar 2, 2001

On one of your previous answers you posted a piece from the Cancer Society talking about cancer and alcohol. Can this be true??? Also, can alcohol make DDI(Videx) effects worse??? my lastest (amylaze) report was 157 which i am told is high. For the above result and cancer fear should I give up the nightly martinis???

Response from Dr. Dezube

Alcohol can definitely lead to the development of cancer, particularly in smokers. Alcohol and tobacco work synergistically. What this means is that if tobacco increases the cancer risk somewhat, and alcohol increases it somewhat, then the combination of the two tremendously increases the cancer risk. The cancer which is most associated with alcohol is cancer of the head and neck. The cancer which is most associated with smoking is cancer of the lung. As for whether or not you should give up alcohol, I would NOT recommend wide-scale abstention of alcohol. The buzz word is MODERATION.

Lastly as for ddI and alcohol, there is indeed an interaction in terms of the pancreas. Both alcohol and ddI can cause pancreatitis (an inflammation of the pancreas). While your amylase is high (has your doctor checked a lipase level?), I would suggest you minimize alcohol intake as much as possible.

I am sorry if I raised fears in your mind, but you asked for the facts.

Previous
Medical policies on viral infections
Next
Strange Vaginal Secretion after sex.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.