Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

anal warts; what follow up do you need if they have been removed?
Nov 8, 2002

My friend just had external warts removed and is HIV positive, what can I expect now that they have been removed, dose he need to be tested each year to see if they are coming back or just let it go, I am always going to be there for him no matter what.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Anal warts are caused by the HPV virus (human papilloma virus, also known as the wart virus). Although your friend's warts have been removed, he most likely still has an HPV infection. HPV infection is chronic and most patients, particularly HIV'ers, do not clear the infection. The lower the CD4 count, the greater the risk that the HPV infection will cause symptoms and disease. As a consequence, your friend should be followed at least yearly. Depending upon the expertise in your geographic area, such follow-up could include a PAP smear, anoscopy, or both. A PAP smear is a procedure by which a swab is inserted up the butt and the cells of the butt are examined for early signs of cancer. An anoscopy is a procedure where a scope is inserted up the butt so that a health provider can look at the cells lining the butt. The importance of follow-up, paricularly in HIV-positive patients, can not be stressed enough.

Previous
Is my KS related to my Thyroid Lesion?
Next
help me dr bruce

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.