Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

An abnormal PAP smear; What does this all mean?
Nov 8, 2002

MY PAP CAME BACK ABNORMAL AND THEY RULED OUT ANY STD SO WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Response from Dr. Dezube

Your query does not have enough information for me to answer fully. Are you a woman talking about a cervical PAP smear, a guy talking about an anal PAP smear? There are many abnormalities-- which do you have? These are the questions you need to get from your provider who presumably has the PAP report. Most abnormal PAP smears need to be followed-up. For an abnormal cervical PAP smear, this would mean culposcopy. For an abnormal anal PAP smear, this would mean anoscopy. Both culposcopy and anoscopy are procedures by which your health provider looks at the cells lining either the cervix (for culposcopy) or the anus (for anoscopy). During this procedure biopsies are usually obtained to get a better idea as to the meaning of the abnormal PAP smear. Only through a combination of scoping (culposcopy or anoscopy) and of biopsies, can a treatment plan be made for you.

Previous
One more armpit follow-up; What do you do about lymph nodes which neither grow nor shrink?
Next
Is my KS related to my Thyroid Lesion?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.