Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Did HIV Cause my Leukemia?
Nov 7, 2002

One year ago I was diagnosed with Leukemia (AML). Days later I was diagnosed as HIV+.

My HIV/Infectious Disease Physician tells me that while there is evidence that HIV is linked to Lymphomas -- there is "no evidence whatsoever" that it(HIV) is linked to Leukemia. My Oncologist says he doesn't know, and my Family Practice physician says "without a doubt, they are linked".

Want to give one more opinion?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I published earlier this year an article describing the relationship between leukemia (in particular your type of leukemia AML) and HIV infection. The article appears in the British journal AIDS and is under my name, so your physicians should be able to reference it.

Why does this connection exist? HIV infection causes an imbalance in growth factors. Some of these growth factors and hormones cause bone marrow cells to grow. On occasion (in fact it's only on a very rare occasion) some of these bone marrow cells grow and become leukemic. We showed in that article, that if your HIV infection can be brought under control and if you are otherwise healthy, that you chances in terms of beating the AML are similar to the chances of an HIV-negative person.

Good luck in both your battles (leukemia and HIV). Please write back if you have more questions.

Previous
breast implants; can a transexual with HIV undergo surgery?
Next
Kaposi's-- I've been treated and now have skin discoloration. How concerning is this?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.