AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

What are some preventions of KS??

I'm a student researching about Kaposi Sarcoma. I got some information how to treat KS but no information of how to prevent so far. I think some information of how to prevent KS will be helpful. Can anyone help?

Response from Dr. Dezube

The answer to your question depends on whether you are asking how to prevent the disease KS (i.e. the purplish lesions) or to prevent infection by the KS virus. If you are HIV+, then the best way to prevent the disease KS, is to be on good anti-HIV therapy.

If you want to prevent infection with KS-virus, then this is more difficult since the virus is readily spread through the saliva.

Unlike pneumocystis pneumonia and mycobacterial infection (MAC), which can prevented by antibiotics, no such preventive medicine exists for KS. Some clinicians feel certain anti-viral agents may prevent KS, but the data to support this recommendation are not that strong at this time. Hope this helps. BD.

KS test
Negative test result in 7 weeks