AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

KS test

Hello! 6 months ago I started on HAART which I thought of as a "new start" and I therefore asked to be tested for all other kinds of sexually transmitted diseases in order to get rid of them, if possible. All the tests came out negative. Would those tests have detected the KS-virus? My reason for asking is that for a long time I've had this very small (app. 1 mm.) red spot on my chest - could that be a KS? Or perhave just i little skin damage from past shavings of my chest (I haven't done that for a month or so)?

Response from Dr. Dezube

Hello! The routine tests do NOT test for the KS-virus. In fact, there is no readily available and reliable test which checks for the virus in clinical samples; the KS-virus test is really a research tool. I also don't see much reason to be checked for the virus since there is no medicine you can take to eliminate the virus should it be detected. As for the red spot, I would recommend that you have it biopsied. You should be able to get it biopsies without much pain, cost, or scar. Knowing whether or not it is KS may bring you significant peace of mind. BD.

Cancer blood test
What are some preventions of KS??