AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Blood urine and high lymphocytes,triglycerides

Dear Dr. Thank you very much for your works here! I'm a 33 man and was infected in July 1998, and my lymphnodes in neck and groins have been swollen since Feb of 1999. In the area in which I live, there are no doctors specializing in HIV. So I have to get help from you. I just did a health screen, which indicates some things which are abnormal. My CD4 are 1230. Following are some data from my health screen: 1. Hematology: 1.1 White Cell differentiential count Lymphocytes is 42.2(ref. range 15-41), absolute is 2.19. 2. Lipid Screen 2.1 Total cholesterol: 199 (ref. range 110-220 mg/dL) 2.2 Triglycerides:355( ref. range 0-160 mg/dL) 3. Urinalysis 3.1 Blood: Positive + (ref. range Negative) 3.2 Protein: +(ref. range Negative) 4. Urine Microscopy: Red blood Cells: 20-25(ref. range 0-5/HPF) What I want to ask are : 1. do you think the abnormal testing results are caused by HIV or other opportunistic infections? 2. Based on the above testing results, do you think my situation is very serious now? 3. Do I need to take anti-HIV therapy immediately? Thanks! I'm looking forward to your response! Mike

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear Mike, With your CD4 count of 1230, it would be most UNlikely for you to have an opportunistic infection. I doubt the blood in the urine is caused either by HIV or by an opportunistic infection. On the other hand, you may very well be having a urinary tract infection or prostate infection which could account for your blood in the urine. You should have a urine culture performed and perhaps should start on a short course of antibiotics (such as doxycycline). There is nothing in your note to suggest that your situation is serious. Your lymphocyte percentage is not worrisome. I also see no reason to start anti-HIV therapy now, though it would be nice to know what your viral load is. If your viral load count was high (e.g. greater than 20,000), then you might consider taking anti-HIV therapy. Hope this helps.

chronic leukemia in HIV
Cancer blood test