Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

chronic leukemia in HIV
Mar 2, 2001

I'm a HIV positive indian doctor with CD4- 243 and past history of bacterial infections. viral load is 30,000 copies. Along with HIV I've been diagnosed with chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) [ chronic stage - blast cells NIL ]. philadelphia chromosome is positive. I am on 1 NNRTI+ 2 NRTI and hydroxyurea. the WBC count is controlled. No history of mycobacterial or opportunistic infections. Should I undergo bone marrow transplantation OR continue with only HAART ?

Response from Dr. Dezube

This is a hard question. If you were HIV negative, then many oncologists would push you to the bone marrow transplantation route. There is little experience however with transplantations in HIV positive patients. HIV itself may stimulate leukemia. What HIV does, is it causes the release of growth factors (e.g. the Tat protein); these factors in turn cause the release of growth factors (e.g bFGF) which in turn stimulate the leukemia cells. Although I have NO data on which to base my recommendation, my overall feeling about your case is that I would NOT recommend transplantion at this time. Basically I don't feel the risks of allogeneic transplant are justified in your situation. I would take whatever is necessary to control viral load. I would also recommend that you get information about "mini-transplant" (also known as Transplant-Lite). This has been VERY effective for CML and may be more tolerable given your HIV status. Also a new drug STI 1571 for CML is on the horizon. It is very promising. GOOD LUCK.

Previous
KS in my palate
Next
Blood urine and high lymphocytes,triglycerides

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.