AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

bloody semen,floaters,allergies=hiv??

Hi doctor, I am a 25 yr old male who is convinced I have HIV, despite testing neg 4 times. In 1986 or 1987, I had receptive anal sex with another male. He ejaculated in me. This was my only possible exposure to HIV to date. I tested negative in 1991,and three times this year[3 antibody and 1 dna pcr all negative]. However I fear I have an undiscovered strain\subtype and\or am not producing antibodies. In 1995 I developed floaters in my vision which remain to this day and despite an extensive eye exam, no cause has been found. In 1996 while masturbating I noticed blood in my semen and pain when I ejaculate, this also continues to this day and despite extensive testing[cystoscopy,prostate exams ,kidney /bladder ivp ,oral antibiotics,a semen analysis and culture] again, no cause has been found. In 1998 I developed horrible allergies, it causes bad head congestion,dizziness,balance problems,etc. In addition to all this I have experienced some of the classic hiv symptoms[flu symptoms,headaches,fatigue,etc. however as i have stated i tested neg 4 times. what is your opinion? Could these all be HIV related?? if so, what test should I try next? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Dezube

You raise the concern that you have symptoms of classic HIV, yet all your HIV tests are negative, included 3 times this year. I would recommend that your doctor test your CD4 and CD8 counts as well as CD4 percentage. This is an easy way to tell if you are infected with HIV-like viruses, which cause damage to your immune system. If your CD4 and CD8 counts are normal, then I would sincerely doubt that you have HIV or an HIV-like virus. If these tests however are abnormal, then please write to me again and I can lead you to the process of getting tested for other viruses. At some point you might want to be seen by an expert in Infectious Diseases. Your primary doctor should be able to arrange this. Good luck!

signs and symtoms
Is checking central nervous system critical?