AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

What does kaposi's sarcoma look like??

Hi I am an 18 year old female and I have a reddish purple spot on the skin tissue of my right breast. It is flat, spotty and looks like a bruise, but it has been there for more than a week now and has not changed color. I am trying to figure out what is could be. I have been reading about kaposi's sarcoma and it sounds like what I have. Do you know if this is possible??

Response from Dr. Dezube

It would help to know if you're HIV positive. If you are HIV negative, KS would be most unusual. The skin lesions appear most often on the lower extremities, face (especially the nose), mouth, and genitalia, but they can also appear in many other places. The lesions are often oblong, but can appear in many other shapes. The lesions can appear in many shades of pink, red, purple, and brown. If you think you have KS, I would recommend that you see a health provider who is familiar with the disease. Much can be done to treat KS. Sometimes the health provider will biopsy one of the lesions in order to be sure what the diagnosis is.

How to distinguish kaposis from a bruise
KS in women